Illawarra Women's Trauma Recovery Centre seeks Board members
Board Directors x 2 – volunteer positions
The organisation: The Illawarra Women’s Trauma Recovery Centre is an initiative of the Illawarra Women’s Health Centre and has received $25 million over 5 years in federal funding for its opening in 2024.
It is a place for women to heal and rebuild lives after experiencing domestic, family, and sexual violence. Through an innovative wrap-around approach, the Centre will support women to live independent and secure lives for the wellbeing of current and future generations.
Underpinned by research, the Illawarra Women’s Trauma Recovery Centre is community-led and has been co-designed with women with lived experience, professional experts, and service providers.
The position: We are searching for enthusiastic, skilled and experienced Board Directors to form the Board of Governance for this new Company Limited by Guarantee. Positions will commence upon successful recruitment during establishment phase within the Illawarra Women’s Health Centre and will become legally effective from 1st July 2024. Term of Board Director is 2 years with a 6 month probation period. The Board is to be collaborative, non-operational and strategic.
• National Criminal Record Check – Please note that having a criminal record will not automatically exclude your application. We recognise that women can have experiences with the criminal justice system that are discriminatory and unjust. We know for example that women can, and often are, misidentified as a primary offender in domestic and family violence situations. We also understand that women can move on from their past.
• Working with Children Check
• Compliance with the Organisation’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
• Female: Being female is considered a genuine occupational qualification as per Section 31 of the NSW Anti-Discrimination Act 1977.
Experience and expertise:
• Financial/accounting expertise and commercial insight
• Risk management; identifying, assessing and mitigating risk
• Human resource management: coordinating, managing, and allocating human capital
• Clinical Governance (ideally someone with lived expertise)
As a Board Director, you will support the Illawarra Women’s Trauma Recovery Centre to make a positive impact by
• Guiding our draft strategic direction plus developing and overseeing the implementation of the first TRC strategic plan
• Providing governance and general oversight of the organisation
• Ensuring the organisation remains robust and fit to meet its mission
• Using your connections to introduce the Centre to key stakeholders
• Attending monthly in person Board meetings and other Board related events (approx 10+ hrs per month)
The person – what will you bring:
A genuine interest in supporting women to live richer and more connected lives.
Knowledge of a director’s governance role including the legal, ethical, fiduciary, and financial responsibilities.
Ability to listen, analyse and work well with people.
To apply, please email Judy Daunt, Vice Chairwoman Illawarra Women’s Health Centre firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy of the Board Director Application Information Pack.
Please answer ALL questions in that document, complete the Board Skills matrix and return via email with your most recent CV by 19th February 2024.
If you are interested in this role and require further information, please contact Judy Daunt, Vice Chairwoman Illawarra Women’s Health Centre on 0418 423 788.